Hospital Stay #3, Days 6-7

Remember how I said the hospital psychiatrist and staff would be out of their minds to release Javan in his current state of mind? Guess what? The very next day his hospital psychiatrist finally called me back. Not surprisingly, we weren’t on the same page about what needed to happen in Javan’s course of treatment….we weren’t even in the same book. I wanted to discuss the possibility of doing a complete med wash. He wanted to tell me that he thought Javan seemed much calmer and was ready to be discharged from the hospital. He seemed genuinely surprised that I wanted him to consider a med wash. It was obviously the first time he’d heard that that was why we put Javan back in the hospital in the first place. He wasn’t willing to consider that course of treatment. I told him we’d seen Javan the previous evening for visitation and that he most certainly did not seem calmer and was absolutely not ready to be discharged. Javan was angry and aggressive and threatening self harm. If he came home in that condition, he’d turn right around and have to be readmitted. The doctor said something akin to “Fine, I’ll start him on new meds and keep him over the weekend if that’s what you want.”  If thats what I want, my foot. So, that’s what we’re doing.

Soon after we hung up, the doctor called me back and said he’d just been informed that Javan was refusing his medications. He hadn’t had them the night before and wouldn’t take them that morning either because according to him, “the medicines won’t make him better.” So the doctor wanted my permission to get a court order allowing them to give him all his meds by injection. Does that really sound like a kid who is ready to be home? Javan’s Daddy came to the rescue and called Javan and was able to talk him into taking his pills. He hasn’t had to have any injections.

I spoke with his therapist today and asked how he was doing. She said he’s just been sleeping a lot due to the medication changes. I also spoke with an inpatient coordinator with our insurance company who informed me that currently his last covered day is Monday, meaning he could be discharged Tuesday.

I am feeling pretty pessimistic about the possibility that anything will have changed by the time he comes home. Maybe medicine just can’t help. Maybe it can’t give him the bright future he deserves. I was recently encouraged by a good friend to try some dieting options again. I haven’t tried dietary changes in several years, since we tried going gluten free for three horrible weeks. My friend recommended the Feingold Diet or the GAPS Diet  (Gut and Psychology Syndrome). In the past, when I’ve researched diets, those are the two that seemed like they would have the best potential for helping Javan. The Feingold Diet is much less restrictive so I’m tempted to start with that one due to ease of implementation. I’d be glad to hear from you if you have experience with either diet.

Javan just called me during his evening phone time and he sounded good, not drugged or monotone. He’s excited that his grandparents,  Weebo and Pops, are coming with us to visitation. Well get to see him in just over and hour.

Javan definitely seemed to be doing better during tonight’s visit. He was happy nearly the whole time, communicated clearly,  didnt hallucinate, and didn’t try to hurt himself or others. He talked a lot about Pokemon, all the different kinds there are, and how they evolve. He very much wanted to be a good host and offered everyone cheese crackers with peanut butter and cups of water. He brought in all his drawings to show us, which he always enjoys and takes pride in. He showed us how to “Whip and Nae Nae,” a song and dance he’s become familiar with through the music therapist. She sounds fun.

As with previous visits, during the last fifteen minutes or so he became so completely preoccupied with trying to thwart our departure that it was difficult to gain and hold his attention. He did still melt down when we had to go and a nurse had to hold him back from us, but it was actually pretty mild compared to previous partings.

The nurse who brought us back down to the the lobby was able to talk to us about the specific new medications Javan is being tried on and told us that we should be able to begin observing their effects in another day or two. I was impressed that he knew all this without having to consult a chart or anything. I may be unimpressed with the overall communication system at the hospital and with the psychiatrist himself, but I remain highly impressed with the nursing staff. They are very knowledgeable and treat the patients and parents with a high level of respect and compassion.

I hope my baby boy sleeps soundly tonight and that he continues to feel better throughout the weekend.


2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Michelle
    Sep 12, 2015 @ 08:27:07

    I was introduced to your blog by a friend in Victoria. Our situation is very similar to yours. My son is on day 4. Thank you for sharing. It helps to know we are not alone. Blessings to you.


    • bipolaraspiemom
      Sep 12, 2015 @ 11:29:06

      Hi Michelle. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this. Hugs to you. Please feel free to ask any questions at any time. Out of curiosity, how old is your son and is this his first hospitilization?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: